Surveys Explained

Buying a property is one of the largest financial commitments you will make, if you want a good understanding of the condition of the property, then you should seriously consider having a Building Survey or a RICS Home Survey and Valuation Report.

A Building Survey

Formally known as a Full Structural Survey, this report is suited to a graded period property or property in poor condition. It is also useful if you intend to renovate, alter or extend. It gives –

on the construction, structure and condition of the property. It advises on repair, maintenance and future management.

on the significance of defects, the potential for future problems and recommendations for remedial or preventive works.

the need for further investigations or exploratory works where the extent of a defect or suspected defect cannot be determined.

is tailored to the client’s requirements. Services may include assessment of development potential, assistance with building works.

The RICS Home Survey includes:

  • An Inspection of the property
  • A report based on the inspection
  • A condition rating to all the main building elements, services, garages and permanent out-buildings
  • A valuation and insurance reinstatement can be added at an additional costing

The RICS Home Survey  will give you professional advice to help you to:

  • Make a reasoned and informed decision on whether to go ahead with buying the property;
  • Take account of any repairs or replacements the property needs; and;
  • Consider what further advice you should before exchanging contract. This type of survey is suited to property that is traditional construction and in reasonable condition. The report is easy to understand and designed to help you make an informed decision on your property purchase.

Buildings are made up of varied components which, at first glance to the untrained eye, may look structurally sound but could conceal defects. To avoid any nasty surprises it is best to have better knowledge of the property’s condition. A survey carried out by a qualified Chartered Surveyor will provide you with the advice needed to make an informed decision about the value of your protective new property.

Scroll to Top