Buying a property is one of the largest financial commitments you will make, if you want a good understanding of the condition of the property, then you should seriously consider having a Building Survey or a RICS Homebuyer Survey and Valuation Report.
A Building Survey
Formally known as a Full Structural Survey, this report is suited to period property or property in poor condition. It is also useful if you intend to renovate, alter or extend. It gives -
• Detailed report on the construction, structure and condition of the property. It advises on repair, maintenance and future management.
• Provides commentary on the significance of defects, the potential for future problems and recommendations for remedial or preventive works.
• May recommend the need for further investigations or exploratory works where the extent of a defect or suspected defect cannot be determined.
• The scope of the service is tailored to the client’s requirements. Services may include assessment of development potential, assistance with building works.
The RICS HomeBuyer Service includes:
• An inspection of the property
The RICS HomeBuyer Service will give you professional advice to help you to:
1. Make a reasoned and informed decision on whether to go ahead with buying the property;
2. Take account of any repairs or replacements the property needs; and;
3. Consider what further advice you should take before exchanging contract. This type of survey is suited to property that is of traditional construction and in reasonable condition. The report is easy to understand and is designed to help you make an informed decision on your property purchase.